Good morning lovelies! Time for my most recent installment of bedroom decorating. My tiny little bedroom is almost complete with the recent addition of a fun new piece of do-it-yourself artwork:
I bought two poster-sized canvasses from Michael’s for under $15 in November when they were on sale and seriously wracked my brain to come up with an idea for months. Then, one day not too long ago I came across a pin on Pinterest that caught my attention. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find the specific post to follow the directions so I just “figured it out.” I later combed through It’s Doable, the blog it was pinned from, view her post here.
To create this piece of DIY Canvas Wall Art, all you’ll need is a poster-sized canvas, a bottle of acrylic paint, foam paintbrushes (I got 14 for $1 at Michaels and used most of them), 4-5 pieces of scrapbook paper, mod podge (you can used homemade or store-bought), some cardboard and a razor blade.
First, I put approximately three coats of acrylic paint on the canvas. The coats dried pretty quickly but it definitely took three coats (if not more) to cover the canvas completely. I used the entire bottle of paint I bought for the project.
Once the paint had dried (I left it over night), I made a stencil from a piece of cardboard for the petals using my new handy-dandy razor blade.
I am TERRIBLE at using scissors, so this razor blade was definitely necessary to get the petals close to the same size/shape. Plus I think it helped things go more quickly. Always a plus when you have my short attention span.
Once I got all of the petals cut out, I arranged them on the canvas in this flower pattern. For the scrapbook paper with script on it, I planned for the locations and cut them so that the script would all line up.
Once I had all of the petals arranged how I wanted them, I applied mod podge to the underside of each petal to glue it to the canvas. I think that there is probably a better way to do this – by putting the mod podge on the bottom of the leaves, some of the paper wrinkled a bit, which wasn’t ideal. If I were doing it again I might consider just putting a tiny bit of double-sided tape under them and only using the mod podge on top. This is where those 14 foam brushes really came in handy.
I chose the glossy finish mod podge for this project. It looks great in the sunlight in my room and I really like it. You could also use the matte mod podge if you don’t want the shiny look. I think this project would also look great using fabric instead of paper. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to sew. I’ll leave that to my lovely mother.