I wrote my Life List about a year and a half ago. Lately, I’ve renewed my commitment to actually knock things off of it. And blog about them (the original intent of this here blog). Therefore, today we have a very ramble-y post about social media… and a bunch of photos from the last week. Isn’t summer fun!? Yep.
One of the items I included on the list was kind of silly, but at the time, felt like it would be a big deal: Take a full week’s break from Twitter.
I’ve written about Twitter before and have always been a huge proponent of the social network – I’ve learned a substantial amount about the world simply by following interesting and insightful people on Twitter. Sometimes I wonder how my personality and worldview would be different if I had never gotten into it.
Anyway, earlier this month, I knocked that item off my list. I had one of my friends change my Twitter password and spent a week not tweeting.
I survived. In fact, it probably helped me curb my addiction ever so slightly. The exercise did, however, cause me to pause and reflect on social media, sharing and “living in the moment.”
I’m pretty quick to admit to a social media addiction of sorts – I like being connected and knowing what’s going on. I also have this innate desire to share, share, share (hence, the blog) and a weird fear that I’ll forget the things and people that are making life great at any given time. I made scrapbooks in high school (that I LOVE) but since then, social media has been my scrapbook. And I’m mostly a fan of it.
But I’ve always had a weird relationship with Facebook.
I hated it for awhile. Have quit it a few times. Have abused it’s creeping capabilities far too many times. Have developed major FOMO. Have gotten annoyed at things that literally have nothing to do with me. But…
Going back and looking at old photos on Facebook with friends that I don’t get to see all the time and seeing my Grandma’s comments on stuff that I post are the main reasons I just know I wouldn’t be able to quit Facebook… and why I have actually begun to enjoy it.
Lately, I’ve decided to approach it a bit differently – a bit more like I approach Twitter (where I would say that I am 100% me). More sharing. More celebrating. More remembering.
I’ve been checking in at events, taking a bunch more photos of my friends (which is why this post is jam-packed of faces! WOO!), and in general, sharing the day-to-day aspects of life.
For awhile there, part of the problem with Facebook was that I was getting really tired of every other post I saw being related to a wedding, engagement, job promotion, pregnancy or otherwise giant event. Those things, though I hate to admit it, made me feel really behind on life. And ungrateful for my day-to-day lifestyle.
Because it’s easy to forget that those things make up 1% of our lives. The rest of the things? They make up the other 99%. And I want to remember (and celebrate) that 99%, too.
ANYWAY. I guess the point of this post is that I have realized that I’m solidly a proponent of living in the moment… but also sharing and celebrating it.
So you can be sure that I’m going to love it if you post an update from your favorite coffee shop, or share a selfie of you and your bestie during a simple day at the pool, loving life.
Because at the end of the day, regardless of our motivations and how we decide to go about it,
Our lives are meant to be shared.
Whether that’s in person, or online. People make the difference. Take the day-to-day and make it ever slightly more remarkable. Yeahhhh, end ramble.
How have you been feeling about social media lately? Do you think it’s making your life better most days? Let’s chat in the comments.